Settlement: Making you comfortable (home)
We begin helping you settle in Taiwan once you have completed the application process, met for an interview, and been accepted to our program. Our services are the following:
1) We will pick you up at the Koahsiung International Airport. You should get your travel agent to book your flight all the way to Kaohsiung (if you can't, then you will have to do this .)
2) For those of you coming during Peak Season (May 2006 - August 2006), you will be staying in the teacher's temporary apartment ("the Pad"). You will have all the comforts of home. We want you to be as comfortable as possible until we arrange your own apartment. We will take you to multiple interviews. Once you have chosen a school, we will begin seeing apartments in the area. On average we take our teachers to three apartments before they make a decision. If you are coming at the beginning to middle of the month and you want, but can't find roommates, we may have to move you from 'the pad' into another temporary apartment (details). The average monthly rent paid by our teachers is $6000 NT (see Apartment & Scooter).
3) We take you to buy a scooter or a motorcycle. See our stats on the average costs. We will give you basic scooter lessons, and teach you the rules of the road (such as they are) during our orientation to Kaohsiung.
4) We take you to get your medical check-up which is required for your working permit (see Medical Check).
5) That's it. You are now living in your own apartment and driving to work on your own scooter. You know your way around the city, and have the skills to be a successful teacher. You have someone in your corner if you have any questions about your contract, visa, Taiwanese taxes, and classroom ideas. Welcome to Taiwan!